Thursday, October 9, 2014

Adventures with Galileoscopes

While one day messing around with my Galileoscope, I was observing a traffic cone down the street from me.  While attempting to view the cone, I discovered that through my low and high power lenses the image was upside down, and that the low power view gave me the largest field of view.  The medium lens, however, offered an erect image.
On October 8th at about 9 p.m, I went over to the soccer field at North where I had a good view of the moon.  Using the low power lens, I was able to spot some key characteristics of the moon's surface.  The large dark spots, called maria, and the bright streaks that radiate outward from craters, called rays, are the easiest to identify.
When I first brought out the Galileoscope to test the different lenses, I had some difficulties.  Getting something into view while everything is upside down is frustrating.  Also, it was difficult to see through the lens while using the high power configuration.  I was, however, excited to use the telescope and observe the moon once I figured out how to use it.
When Galileo first viewed the moon, he probably had a mix of excitement, relief, and a certain confusedness.  He likely didn't know what he was observing on the surface of the moon, and could only speculate.  After all the work that he must've put into it, finally being able to have an enlarged view through his telescope must've brought great joy.  Galileo accomplished true greatness.

1 comment:

  1. Tell me again how you took this photo. Was it with your iPhone and through the low power eyepiece?

    ReplyDelete